The Honor 5x is a high-profile Android devices with exciting features. No nonsense is their slogan. The 5x in particular joins the affordable category of smart phones, and is officially released to the US. Buyers don’t have to worry about compatibility with US network carriers, or any costs associated with importing. The level of performance you get is impressive, and that Honor was able to keep this phone budget oriented. Honor is a division of Huawei, and is a major smart phone contender. Lets look at how this phone performs with its budget price tag.
The specifications are as follows:
|CPU Model||Qualcomm Snapdragon 616|
|GPU Model||Adreno 405|
|Color||Gold, white, and gray|
|LCD Size||5.5 inches|
|Resolution||1920 x 1080 pixels|
|LCD Color||16.7 million|
|Dimentions||151.3 mm * 76.3mm * 8.15mm|
|Battery Capability||3000 mAh|
|Battery Change||Not Supported|
|Camera||Rear camera:13 MP|
|Front camera:5 MP|
|Photo Resolution||Rear camera: 4160 x 3120 pixels|
|Network Rate||LTE FDD：B2/B4/B5/B12/B17 WCDMA：B1/B2/B4/B5 GSM：850/900/1800/1900MHz|
|Single/Double Card||Dual SIM cards|
|Single/Double Standby||Dual Standby|
|Single/Double Pass||Single pass|
|SD Card Type||microSD|
|External Memory Support||128GB|
|Weight||About 158 g (including the battery)|
The accessories include:
- Honor 5x
- USB wall charger
- microUSB v 2.0 cable for phone
- Sim removal tool
The 5x has outstanding build quality for the price. It features a full metal unibody construction, and brushed metal look. You can get the phone is Gold, Grey, or Silver.
The metallic body:
- Design inspired by futuristic art combined with world-class architecture found throughout the world.
- A body that blends curvatures with ergonomic principles producing an exquisite design for your hands.
- Stellar range of color options, including sunset gold, dark gray and daybreak silver.
- A meticulous design with upper and lower housings featuring dotted lines that complement each other, and an emoticon-inspired base design that gives the handset a youthful feel.
The aluminum allow goes through a four step finishing process:
- Diamond-polished aluminum alloy normally reserved for aircraft.
- Finishing created through a special brushing technique that produces a consistent, polished finish.
- Sand-blasted matte sides that complement the phone’s shiny CNC milled chamfer while completing its exquisite and elegant exterior.
- Laser-etched rear logo produces an understated yet premium feel.
The fingerprint reader was designed for more speed and improved accuracy. It uses fingerprint identification 2.0.
- Speed and accuracy: A second-generation FPC rim-free touch fingerprint sensor that offers better performance, greater accuracy, and a 0.5-second unlocking time.
- Adaptive sensor: Advanced technology that learns more about your fingerprint as you use it and prevents failed recognition caused by wet hands or partial fingerprints.
- Easy setup: Fingerprint recording in just six touches.
- Privacy protection: File Safe, App Lock, and Visitor Mode for added peace of mind.
Expect an unlock in 0.5 Seconds, and a touch register up to 6x faster.
The fingerprint reader offers more than unlocking your phone:
- Ability to call friends at the touch of a finger by linking a fingerprint with a contact – a features that works in locked-screen mode.
- Ability to launch an app with a single touch of a finger by linking it to a fingerprint input – a feature that works in locked-screen mode.
- Ability to take photos with its fingerprint sensor, including both ordinary photos and selfies.
- Notification bar control. Swipe down on the fingerprint sensor to pull down the notification bar. Double press the sensor to hide again.
- Press and hold the fingerprint sensor to answer incoming calls or cancel an alarm.
The honor 5x comes with a 5.5-inch IPS LCD display at 1920 x 1080 resolution. The pixel density is 401 ppi, and offers impressive viewing angles. the color quality is vibrant with correct color tones. Text is extremely sharp with this resolution, and offers easy visibility outdoors. I do want to note that back-light sometimes bleeds through darker areas, but other than this the quality of the display is really good.
The display offers:
- Pixel-by-pixel dynamic contrast adjustment for improved contrast under different lighting conditions and visibility through glare.
- 1920 x 1080 pixel, 16.7 million color, full HD IPS display with improved color reproduction and viewing angles.
- High 72.5% screen-to-body ratio and fully-laminated screen that renders vivid and crisp images.
- 10 point multi-touch and manual color temperature adjustment controls.
- High transparency screen protector with each device.
Performance / Hardware
The 5x is equipped with all the performance you could want from an Android device:
The CPU is clocked at 1.5 GHZ, and uses the Adreno 405 GPU and utilizes the 2GB of RAM. They do offer a 3GB version of the device if you’re looking for more performance. I did notice some sluggish performance on the 2GB version, so if you can afford it get the 3GB phone. You will find screen animations feel slow at times, and gaming on the devices was average. Dont expect flagship performance for this budget devices. This doesn’t mean the phone isn’t capable of playing games, but rather at a cost of image settings depending on whats being played.
16GB is the only internal storage option available. The 5x does offer expandable storage with microSD card up to 128GB. The device also uses dual SIM capabilities with the dual slots.
One of the major drawbacks of this device is the compatibility of the 4g LTE networks. It only offers AT&T and T-Mobile networks.
The camera on the 5x comes with a 13 MP rear, and 5 MP front facing camera.
You can see the image quality in the picture above to represent the color reproduction.the LED flash is great for low-level. There is no image stabilization which is disappointing, but the overall photo quality is great with the 5x. In optimal conditions the post processing make your shots look like professional photos. However in order to get really good photos, you will need to tweak your settings for optimal conditions. The pictures can produce good quality, but without tweaking seem mediocre.
The speakers provided use a unified sound chamber. This creates smart amplified sound from the bottom speaker design.
The 3000 MAH battery uses smart power 3.0:
The 5x is running Huaweis EMUI 3.1, and this is based on Android Lollipop. There is no overwhelming amount of software pre-installed, but the software package is different from stock Android. There is basic pre-installed tools for the 5x, but not any unnecessary third-party apps. The notifications drop down is well-organized, and offers quick access to your settings. You can customize your screen through themes, animations, and home screen grids. The 5x has fun features and allows lots of customization. One of my favorite features is shake to re-align. This allows you to realign your icons by shaking your phone.
There is alot to love about the Honor 5x. One of the best aspects of this smart phone is price. I’m sure you heard me mention that several times now, and I will be providing that below. The features you get ,and performance for a sub 200 dollar phone is amazing. The software package is clean, and the battery life is pretty good. I like the unique features that the fingerprint reader isn’t only used for unlocking your phone, and how well designed the body of the phone is.
There are a few cons though:
- Only works with specified carriers
- camera is missing some features and requires tweaking for better than mediocre pictures
- Can feel sluggish at times
I would definitly reccomend this device for anyone on a budget, and hates teh verizon carrier network. You can get this phone on sale for under $200.00. You get a great battery, decent sound, and decent performance for the price tag. You can buy the Honor 5x on Amazon right now for $189.00.