Netgear is well-known for its high-end routers and network devices. Nighthawk series of devices are designed to be the best for gamers and hardware enthusiasts. The Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 (C7000) is no exception. The C7000 has DOCSIS 3.0 and is designed for Games, Streaming, and Easy access. If you’re looking for one of the fastest cable modems to date, the C7000 will not disappoint you.
The specifications are as follows:
Speed and Range
- Up to 960 Mbps
- 24×8 CableLabs® DOCSIS® 3.0 Verified Modem
- AC1900 (600 Mbps + 1300 Mbps)†
- Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi—2.4 & 5GHz
Number of Ethernet Ports
- Four (4) 10/100/1000 LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports
Number of USB Ports
- One (1) USB 2.0 port
- Built-in high-speed DOCSIS® 3.0 24×8 Channel Bonding Cable Modem
- 24 downstream and 8 upstream channels
- AC1900 (600 Mbps @2.4GHz with 256 QAM support +1300 Mbps @5GHz 11ac)†
- Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi—Tx/Rx 3×3 (2.4GHz) + 3×3 (5GHz)
- Beamforming+—For more reliable connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands
- Powerful 1.6GHz combined processor
- Memory: 128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM
- ReadySHARE® USB—Share your USB hard drive and printer
- IPv6 support (Internet Protocol Version 6) access USB storage
- Customized free URL to set up personal FTP server
- Guest network access—separate & secure
- WiFi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2—PSK)
- Double firewall protection (SPI and NAT)
- Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
The C7000 was designed with speed in mind. It is the fastest cable modem available with AC 1900 WIFI.
The features that make this modem unique are as follows:
- Powerful 1.6GHz combined processor boosts performance for streaming and gaming
- Two-in-One—Cable Modem and WiFi Router combo
- No equipment rental fees – save up to $120 a year*
- One of the best cable modem routers for Comcast XFINITY® Blast, Comcast XFINITY® Extreme or Time Warner Cable® Maxx
- 24×8 Channel Bonding enables up to 960 Mbps‡ download speeds
The Channel bonding is one of the best features. During major hours of traffic, your service may become slow or congested. Cable internet offers data channels to deliver your internet. These channels become congested during hours where lots of people are accessing bandwidth. The more channels you have, the faster your service will be. The C7000 supports 24 downstream channels. This will provide you with exceptionally faster speeds from your internet service provider.
The C7000 also offers dual band performance. You will be able to enjoy top-tier service from your provider. Enjoy Extreme service from Time Warner, and blazing fast wireless AC 1900 WIFI. You can enjoy speeds up to 1.9 Gbps.
The C7000 also offers:
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports (10/100/1000 gigabit)
- USB port for media sharing or networked printing (Netgear’s ReadyShare solution for printer and hard drive sharing)
- 128 MB Flash and 256 MB RAM
- Netgear Genie app available on App Store and Google Play for network management on the go
- Network security – Guest Access, Wi-Fi Protected Access, SPI and NAT firewall protection, DoS attack prevention, Parental Controls and WPS
- Beamforming technology
One small noteworthy feature this modem provides a long coaxial connection. This is nice because it helps keep the cable secure and easy to screw or un-screw the coaxial cable from the device.
The beamforming technology improves the range and reliability for your modem. It allows better connectivity, and automatically chooses the best channel for your devices.
The USB port on the C7000 is ready for storing and sharing.
Connect a USB device to the USB port and enjoy high-speed access over WIFI. With ReadySHARE you can play, view, and listen to your media over the C7000. In the interface of the C7000 you can configure the USB port to do different share options. You can set the port to share media or be a print server.
I’m not going to get into every specific setting of the C7000, but I will go over the important interface options. Once you plug-in the device you will not have internet access right away. You will need to call your internet service provider to helps you through the process. You will need your mac address handy, and a bit of patience. Time Warner was able to set up my C7000 rather quickly. All I needed to do was wait for them to provision the modem and that was it.
The Modems interface which is accessible through 192.168.100.1 is very easy to configure once the modem is provisioned. Netgear offers an easy basic setup option, as well as advanced tweaking.
The interface also offers ping testing that can show you how well the modem is communicating to the internet.
Another useful feature is under administration. Wireless channel provides real-time information helping you choose the best channel manually if desired. You can view both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. If you don’t want to manually change these settings, beamforming technology should do this automatically and help optimize your connections.
The test bench used for testing is as follows:
- Motherboard- Z87x-UD3H
- CPU: Intel Core I7 4790K
- Network Card- Netgear AC 1200 USB adapter
- Cooler- H100i GTX V2
- Memory- Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866
- Video Card: EVGA NVidia Geforce GTX 970
- Storage- OCZ vertex 4 256 GB
- Power Supply- Corsair TX750m
- OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro
I wanted to see how well consolidating to a single modem would work compared to using a more high-profile device like the R8500. The C7000 is extremely fast and the beamforing technology work like a dream.
The connection between the C7000 and the Netgear AC 1200 USB adapter had speeds close to 600 Mbps.
The speed test I ran was also amazing. I was able to full saturate my network speeds with little interference.
I wanted to do another test to really show how well the C7000 handles heavy downloaded files. With a 35 Mbps speed I was able to download the new DOOM in 03 hours and 5 minutes. DOOM is a fantastic game and one of the best games I have played this year.
The only negative thing I can think about the C7000 is no external antennas. This would be a nice feature to have in the future, since most Nighthawk series devices have multiple external antennas.
The C7000 is extremely fast and offers the performance to prove that. There are so many great things to say about this device. One of the best feature of this device is the DOCSIS 3.0 compatibility with channel bonding. Most internet service providers do not provide gigabit to the home yet, but it’s coming. This modem will allow your service to be upgraded for plenty of years to come. Another great feature of having your own modem is not having to pay your internet service provider modem rental fees. This can save you up to $120 dollars a year. The C7000 is extremely easy to set up, and provides plenty of features for sharing, and streaming your content. Playing games on this device should offer no issues. You will have plenty of bandwidth and low ping times for those late nigh frag sessions. You can buy this device right now on Amazon for $ 218.00.